In terms of our accessibility improvements that were mentioned on the roadmap for the first quarter of 2016, we want to simplify the way how to get into an alliance.
Joining an alliance is a very useful way for new players to learn how to succeed in Grepolis. You can ask questions, request for help or just find new friends. Anyway new players that joined an alliance stay longer in the game and therefore we want to simplify the current process how to find an alliance. We had several meetings over the past weeks and thought about changes to our current alliance-invitation-system.
Before we talk about our planned changes, let’s have look on how the system currently works:
1. New players probably play the quests until they get the quest “Join or found an alliance”
2. The quest guides you to the alliance menu where you can find a list of alliances nearby.
3. Now you can click the apply button that opens a message screen where you can write a personal message or just use the pre-filled text and send the application.
4. Then the alliance leader (or someone else with the according rights) receives the message, reads it and sends the player an invitation.
5. Afterwards the player gets a notification/message with the invitation and link to the alliance screen again.
6. By clicking the link in the message (Or by manually open the alliance window and switching to the “Create alliance” tab) a window appears where the player can finally accept the alliance invitation.
From our perspective the players’ effort is way to high to join an alliance.
Our new idea is way more simple:
1. You get the quest that leads you to the alliance window.
2. In the list you click on apply that opens the pre-filled message you can edit and send.
3. The alliance leader gets a message that includes two buttons: Accept and Reject. That’s it.
The other way around would be similar:
1. The alliance leader invites a player
2. The player gets a message with two buttons: Accept and Reject. That’s it.
In case something changes in between (invitation got canceled, alliance full, player joined another alliance, …) the buttons in the message would be replaced by a text explaining why the buttons have been replaced.
Additionally we would like to change the alliance settings a bit and introduce a new state: “open”. Alliances with open state would auto-accept any application that meets the point requirements until it is full. We think this could be quite useful in the early game-phase. We would also remove the current setting “List my alliance in the alliance finder” and replace it with:
- ‘Open’ – Alliance appears in the alliance finder list and players can join directly (if they meet the point requirements)
- ‘Application’ – Alliance appears in the alliance finder list and players can apply (if they meet the point requirements)
- ‘Closed’ – Alliance does not appear in the alliance finder list and players can not apply, they can only be invited by leaders
How do you like this idea? Any suggestions for improvements? We would love to hear your opinion on the follow questions! Just comment here or join our beta forum discussion.
- Are there any negative side effects we might have forgotten?
- Would you (as a founder) like to define the pre-filled application text on your own that your applicants will see?
- What sort of questions would you put in there?
- Do you use external tools or websites to get more info about the applicants? What are you interested in?
- Would you use the ‘open’ setting for your alliance to get new members faster?